The Transgender Day of Remembrance serves several purposes. It raises public awareness of hate crimes against transgender people, an action that current media doesn’t perform. Day of Remembrance publicly mourns and honors the lives of our brothers and sisters who might otherwise be forgotten. Through the vigil, we express love and respect for our people in the face of national indifference and hatred. Day of Remembrance reminds non-transgender people that we are their sons, daughters, parents, friends and lovers. Day of Remembrance gives our allies a chance to step forward with us and stand in vigil, memorializing those of us who’ve died by anti-transgender violence.
TDOR 2020 honors those who died between October 1, 2019 and September 30, 2020. For that period, 53 lives were taken in the United States (that we know of), and 386 worldwide.
Sadly, many trans lives were taken by violence and self-harm this year. We would be remiss not to mention--though not reflected on the TDOR list--the many trans and nonbinary people we have lost to complications from COVID-19.
The list for 2020 is as follows. We ask that you #saytheirnames:
- Corbin Ray Bach, 23, Oct 6th, 2019, Paducah, Kentucky
- Christine Zephier, 23, Oct 10th, 2019, Mankato, Minnesota
- Daphne Dorman, 44, Oct 11th, 2019, San Francisco, California
- Brianna “BB” Hill, 30, Oct 14th, 2019, Kansas City, Missouri
- Nikki Kuhnhausen, 17, Dec 7th, 2019, Larch Mountain, Oregon
- Angel Rose Garcia, 21, Dec 10th, 2019, Hyattsville, Maryland
- Alice Carter ("Baby Alice"), 35, Dec 18th, 2019, Washington, D. C.
- Yahira Nesby, 33, Dec 19th, 2019, Brooklyn, New York
- Mia Penny, 26, Dec 29th, 2019, Washington, D.C.
- Dustin Parker, 25, Jan 1st, 2020, McAlester, Oklahoma
- Alex McCray, 22, Jan 4th, 2020, St. Louis, Missouri
- Camila María Concepción, 28, Feb 21st, 2020, Los Angeles, California
- Neulisa Luciano Ruiz, Feb. 24th, Puerto Rico
- Yampi Mendez Arocho, 19, March 5th, 2020, Puerto Rico
- John Scott Devore/Scottlyn Kelly Devore, 51, Mar 12th, 2020, Augusta, Georgia
- Monica Diamond, 34, Mar 18th, 2020, Charlotte, North Carolina
- Lexi "Ebony" Sutton, 33, Mar 28th, 2020, Harlem, New York
- Lorena Borjas, 59, Mar 30th, 2020, Queens, New York
- Ashley Moore, 26, Apr 1st, 2020, Newark, New Jersey
- Henrietta Robinson, 79, Apr 3rd, 2020, Miami, Florida
- Johanna Metzger, , Apr 11th, 2020, Baltimore, Maryland
- Penelope Diaz Ramirez, April 13th, 2020 Puerto Rico
- Serena Angelique Velazquez Ramos, April 21st, 2020 Puerto Rico
- Layla Pelaez Sanchez, 21, April 21st, 2020 Puerto Rico
- Nina Pop, 28, May 3rd, 2020, Sikeston, Missouri
- Helle Jae O’Regan, 20, May 6th, 2020, San Antonio, Texas
- Jayne Thompson, 33, May 9th, 2020, Orchard Mesa, Colorado
- Tony McDade, 38, May 27th, 2020, Tallahassee, Florida
- Selena Reyes-Hernandez, 37, May 31st, 2020, Marquette Park, Chicago, Illinois
- Name Unknown, Age 16 to 20, Jun 6th, 2020, Chicago, Illinois
- Riah Milton, 25, Jun 9th, 2020, Liberty Township, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Dominique "Rem'mie" Fells, 27, Jun 9th, 2020, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Brian Powers ("Eagle"), Jun 13th, 2020, Akron, Ohio
- Brayla Stone, 17, Jun 25th, 2020, Sherwood, Arkansas
- Tatiana Hall, 22, Jun 30th, 2020, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Merci Mack Richey, 22, Jun 30th, 2020, Oak Cliff, Dallas, Texas
- Draya McCarty, 28, Jun 30th, 2020, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- Shaki Peters, 32, Jul 1st, 2020, Amite City, Louisiana
- Bree Black, 27, Jul 3rd, 2020, Pompano Beach, Florida
- Summer Taylor, 24, Jul 4th, 2020, Seattle, Washington
- Angela Martinez Gómez, 42, Jul 6th, 2020, Santa Monica, California
- Marilyn Monroe Cazares, 22, Jul 13th, 2020, Brawley, California
- Tiffany Harris or ("Dior H Ova"), 32, Jul, 26th, 2020, The Bronx, New York
- Queasha Hardy, 24, Jul 27th, 2020, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- Aja Raquell Rhone-Spears or ("Rocky Rhone"), 32, Jul 28th, 2020, Portland, Oregon
- Kee Sam, 24, Aug 13th, 2020, Lafayette, Louisiana
- Shelley Lynn Rose, 16, Aug 26th, 2020
- Elie Che, 23, Aug 31st, 2020, The Bronx, New York
- Isabella Mia Lofton, 21, Sep 7th, 2020, Brooklyn, New York
- Gia Valentina Romualdo Rodríguez, 46, Sep 15th, 2020, Miami, Florida
- Aerrion Burnett, 37, Sep 19th, 2020, Independence, Missouri
- Mia Green, 29, Sep 28th, 2020, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Michelle “Michellyn” Ramos Vargas, 33, September 30th, 2020, Puerto Rico
As PFLAGers--as human beings--it is imperative that we boldly, loudly, and publicly honor those we have lost to anti-trans violence and hate, and speak out against violence anywhere we see it. Many of our PFLAG chapters will host virtual TDOR events via their PFLAG Connects meeting. Find the chapter nearest you and ask how they are honoring the day.
Simultaneously, as we honor those we have lost, we must use this as an opportunity to strongly recommit to trans inclusion at all levels of our work, providing support to people who are trans and gender expansive and to their families and friends; providing education to those who still lack the understanding necessary to be good allies; and advocating for protections at all levels of government: Local, State, and Federal.
We invite you to join us for a special PFLAG Connects meeting: A virtual vigil in honor of Transgender Day of Remembrance. Sign up now to join us on Friday, November 20th at 8pm ET/5pm PT.