For PFLAG chapters, working in coalitions can be a powerful way to address urgent situations, empower community members, launch community-wide initiatives, advocate for legislative change, and create long-term social transformation. In 2017, working in coalition will be an integral part of PFLAG’s work to provide support, education, and advocacy in our communities as we commit to the fight for fairness.
In this session, using case studies and examples from the PFLAG chapter network, you’ll:
- Learn more about what coalitions are, how they work, and how your chapter can benefit from participating;
- Discuss the lifecycle of a coalition, which includes
- Identifying, recruiting, and convening members
- Developing a vision statement, guiding principles, and a plan of action
- Executing a plan and evaluating success
- Troubleshoot some of the most common barriers to building a successful coalition and examine the ways your chapter can strive to avoid them.
- Gain access to great resources, materials, and tools to help you and your chapter work in coalition with other organizations in your community