In trying times visible, vocal, and active allyship is more significant than ever. PFLAG parents and allies, in communities nationwide, have the power to encourage LGBTQ inclusion and to model the supportive and welcoming behavior we hope to see in others. But sometimes even the most dedicated ally can run in to situations where they’re not sure how to react – or whether a reaction is even warranted. Straight for Equality is here to help.
Thanks for participating in PFLAG Academy Online! One of our key goals is to help you take the information that you learned in this session and use it to make your chapter stronger and more effective. To do that, we’ve created this page to provide you with tools, resources, and references to materials mentioned in the workshop. As always, the PFLAG National staff is here to help. If you have any questions, comments, or just need some good advice, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
PFLAG National & Straight for Equality Publications:
- the guide to being a straight ally: This is the core ally publication referenced in today's training.
- the guide to being a trans ally: This guide will help you learn more about what transgender means and know specific ways that you can be a strong trans ally.
- Our Children: A must read for anyone looking to learn more about how to support LGBTQ+ loved ones. Also available in Spanish!
- Our Trans Loved Ones: For parents and families who would like to accept, support, and celebrate a trans loved one. Also available in Spanish!
Research & Data:
- A Workplace Divided: Understanding the Climate for LGBTQ Workers Nationwide: A Workplace Divided surveyed over 800 LGBTQ and non-LGBTQ workers and complements HRC's history of work, the Corporate Equality Index, and on systems-level change with major private sector employers.
Ally Up: Ally is a Verb: AllyUp is framed around the understanding that the allyship of the individual can drive organizations to improve internal culture and also catalyze systematic change outside the four walls. In the same way, that relationship, between the individual and corporation, can inform, encourage and amplify examples of visible leaders who model authentic, action centered allyship.
Out in the World. Securing LGBT Rights in the Global Marketplace: Out in the World was released by the Center for Talent Innovation in January 2016 and analyzes some of the most significant challenges that multinational corporations face in the global marketplace when corporate policy conflicts with anti-LGBT laws in the countries where they do business.
- Straight for Equality Workplace resources: Still need more? Check out our full workplace resource area for even more details on workplace issues, external resources, other learning opportunities, and advanced tools.
Below you will find direct links to all of the organizations, resources, and campaigns referenced throughout this session. You can also find additional recommendations for allies at any point on their journey by going to straightforequality.org/allyspectrum.
Organizations & Campaigns
- No H8 Campaign
- I'll Go With You Campaign
- National LGBTQ+ Task Force
- Transgender Law Center
- The Trevor Project
- Queer Christian Fellowship
- I'm From Driftwood
- Everyone is Gay
- It Gets Better
- Human Rights Campaign
- Out & Equal
- Trans Bodies, Trans Selves
- Never Silent: ACT UP and My Life in Activism
- We Are Everywhere: Protest, Power, and Pride in the History of Queer Liberation
- Transgender History (2nd Edition)
- DC Pride Anthology
- Marvel Voices: Pride #1