The term “coming out” has become so mainstream that many people assume that the word—and the actions it entails—are simple. However PFLAGers know that it can still be a harrowing for individuals and families. This brand-new webinar has some great tips, tools, and ideas for PFLAG members looking to support LGBTQ+ individuals who are planning to come out and new (and potential) allies who want to demonstrate their acceptance of LGBTQ folks in their lives. Whether you’re new to coaching people through coming out or looking for a refresher and to build your skills, the session provides action items to make you a more effective advocate.
Thank you for joining PFLAG National's learning session! On this page, you'll find additional resources to expand your learning -- and hopefully help answer any questions that you may have.
Find a PFLAG Chapter. Use the search function to find the PFLAG Chapter closest to you and reach out to let them know more about the work you're doing and the type of support you need!
PFLAG Publications. Download, print, and share PFLAG publications referenced during the workshop including Our Children, Our Trans Loved Ones, and more!
Recommended Reading. This reading list is an excellent starting point and includes many of the titles referenced during the workshop.
Resources for People and Families of Faith
- Faith Resources for Christians
- Faith Resources for Jews
- Faith Resources for Muslims
- Faith Resources for Non-Judeo-Christian/Abrahamic Denominations
- Faith Resources for Interfaith/Non-Denominational Communities
Resources for People and Families of Color
- Black Lives Matter
- Center for Black Equity
- Coalicion Unida
- Gay Asian Pacific Alliance
- Immigration Equality
- National Black Justice Coalition
- National Queer Asian Pacific Islander Alliance
- Many Voices
- Queer Students of Color Conference
- Somos Familia
- Two-Spirit Powwow
- [email protected] Coalition
- Trans People of Color Coalition
Research & Data:
- Pew Research: Vast majority of Americans know someone who is gay
- Pew Research: Starkly different views on transgender issues
- Gallup: LGBT Identification in US Ticks to 7.1%
- Williams Institute: LGBT Data & Demographics
- 'Coming Out' Can Bring Health Benefits, Study Says
- Trevor Project National Survey on LGBTQ Youth Mental Health 2019 | 2020 | 2021
- Human Rights Campaign: 2018 LGBTQ Youth Report
- Human Rights Campaign: A Workplace Divided: Understanding the Climate for LGBTQ Workers Nationwide