Each chapter is an important link in the PFLAG chapter network and there are certain responsibilities that each chapter must ensure they complete. Below is the full list. Your due date to complete these items was February 15, 2019. Contact Jamelle Dooley at email@example.com or (202) 657-5997 at the national office if you have questions or need assistance. Thank you for everything you do!
Membership Roster Updates
October 1st was the beginning of the 2018 membership year. If you haven’t already, now’s the time start your membership drive. Membership is an integral part of our organization and a way for people to express their support of PFLAG. When someone becomes a member of your chapter, they also become a member of PFLAG National. We receive lots of questions from chapters about membership, here are some of the more common ones:
- What is the 2018 membership year? The membership began on October 1, 2018 and ends on September 30, 2019. No matter when you add your chapter members, they will lapse at the end of the membership year.
- When can I update my chapter members? You can start to update your chapter members now. We ask that you make the updates as early as possible in the membership year and no later than February 15, 2018.
- How much are dues? Chapter dues are $15 per household.
- How can I update my roster? You can update your roster on the Chapter Hub. If you have questions about how to use the Chapter Hub, please refer to the Chapter Hub Cheat Sheet or contact Brooke Smith.
- How do I pay my dues? You can pay online through the Chapter Hub or send a check to the PFLAG National office.
- Are there resources for conducting a membership drive? Absolutely. You can find information and sample documents in the PFLAG Chapter Manual.
PFLAG Chapter Hub Training
IRS Annual Reporting
Every chapter is required to file a report with the IRS by February 15, 2019. The e-Postcard (990-N) is sufficient for most chapters with an annual income of less than $50,000.
If you have questions about filing your e-postcard or you are having technical issues with the IRS website, please call the IRS at (877) 829-5500. Use your chapter’s Employer Identification Number (EIN) to file with the IRS. Do not use PFLAG National’s EIN (95-3750694). PFLAG National cannot file a report for your chapter as the IRS requires it to be done by a board member of your chapter.
If you do not file your e-Postcard on time, the IRS will mail you a reminder notice. If your chapter fails to file the e-Postcard for three consecutive years, it will automatically be revoked by the IRS and lose tax-exempt status. Their rules are strict and inflexible. If your chapter is revoked, you will need to apply for reinstatement with the IRS (a $400 fee) or dissolve the chapter.
The IRS requires that all chapters in our group exemption (virtually all PFLAG chapters fit in this category) have the same fiscal year as PFLAG National; October 1 to September 30. If you find that your chapter has a different fiscal year, you may change it by filing Form 1128 with the IRS.
Annual State Reports
Most states require your chapter to file an annual report to keep your Articles of Incorporation current. Due dates and requirements vary and it is the responsibility of your chapter board to find this information. The best way to find state reporting requirements is to Google "Articles of Incorporation [your state] Annual Requirements".
Treasurers, please complete this easy financial statement form.