Each chapter is an important link in the PFLAG chapter network and each chapter is responsible for updating members, filing an e-postcard with the IRS, filing an annual report with your state, and filing a financial report with PFLAG National. Your due date to complete these items is February 15, 2020. Contact Jamelle Dooley at [email protected] or (202) 657-5997 with your questions. Thank you for everything you do!
Membership Roster Updates
October 1st is the beginning of the 2020 membership year. Now’s the time start your membership drive. Membership is an integral part of our organization and a way for people to express their support of PFLAG. When someone becomes a member of your chapter, they also become a member of PFLAG National. We receive lots of questions from chapters about membership, here are some of the more common ones:
- What is the 2020 membership year? The membership began on October 1, 2019 and ends on September 30, 2020. No matter when you add your chapter members, they will lapse at the end of the membership year.
- When can I update my chapter members? You can start to update your chapter members starting on October 1, 2019. We ask that you make the updates as early as possible in the membership year and no later than February 15, 2020.
- How much are dues? Chapter dues are $15 per household.
- How can I update my roster? You can update your roster on the Chapter Hub. If you have questions about how to use the Chapter Hub, refer to the Chapter Hub Cheat Sheet or contact Brooke Smith.
- How do I pay my dues? You can pay online through the Chapter Hub or send a check to the PFLAG National office.
- Are there resources for conducting a membership drive? Absolutely. You can find information and sample documents in the PFLAG Chapter Manual.
PFLAG Chapter Hub Training
IRS Annual Reporting
Every chapter is required to file a report with the IRS by February 15, 2020. The e-Postcard (990-N) is sufficient for most chapters with an annual income of less than $50,000.
If you have questions about filing your e-postcard or you are having technical issues with the IRS website, call the IRS at (877) 829-5500. Use your chapter’s Employer Identification Number (EIN) to file your e-postcard. Do not use PFLAG National’s EIN (95-3750694). PFLAG National cannot file a report for your chapter as the IRS requires it to be done by a board member of your chapter.
If you do not file your e-Postcard on time, the IRS will mail you a reminder notice. If your chapter fails to file the e-Postcard for three consecutive years, it will automatically be revoked by the IRS and lose tax-exempt status. Their rules are strict and inflexible. If your chapter is revoked, you will need to apply for reinstatement with the IRS (a $400 fee) or dissolve the chapter.
The IRS requires that all chapters in our group exemption (almost all PFLAG chapters fit in this category) have the same fiscal year as PFLAG National; October 1 to September 30. If you find that your chapter has a different fiscal year, you may change it by filing Form 1128 with the IRS.
Annual State Reports
Most states require your chapter to file an annual report to keep your Articles of Incorporation current. Due dates and requirements vary and it is the responsibility of your chapter board to find this information. The best way to find state reporting requirements is to Google "Articles of Incorporation [your state] Annual Requirements".
Treasurers, please complete this easy financial statement form.