Equality in My Community
In communities and states across the country, nondiscrimination ordinances and laws are being proposed and passed–while discriminatory practices still continue in others. PFLAG National is doing the work to support local and state advocates as they beat back bad bills and advance critical nondiscrimination protections.
- Discuss the issues using the talking points below
- Build a Coalition
- Learn how to share your story and even submit testimony
- Reach out to Media Relations Manager Laura McGinnis for Support in Discussing With The Press
- We need our state and local officials to extend the same rights to LGBTQ+ Americans that are currently afforded to other protected groups.
- PFLAGers are keenly aware that federal law does not fully protect our LGBTQ+ loved ones, especially transgender people of color and Black trans people in particular. Without federal protection from discrimination through the Equality Act, banks and landlords do not have to extend payment leniency for credit or housing as they would for other protected groups, and LGBTQ+ people will still be excluded from access to public services, public education, public spaces, and jury duty.
- Until the Equality Act is passed and federal anti-discrimination protections are extended to LGBTQ+ people everywhere, it is important to protect LGBTQ+ people in as many states, counties, and cities as possible. No matter where an LGBTQ person lives or visits, they should enjoy the same protections as all other people.