Frequently Asked Questions
What is a webinar, exactly?
The term “webinar” is a combination of “web” and “seminar” – in other words, a web-based learning session. You’ll be able to see and hear the presenter and see the presentation all from the comfort and safety of home.
Who is the primary audience for the webinars?
The primary audience for most PFLAG Academy Online learning sessions is PFLAG chapter leaders and members, since most offerings will relate to chapter-focused and skill-building efforts. However, there are several sessions that have broad-based content and are likely to be helpful to at-large PFLAG members, as well.
Will webinars replace in-person learning sessions?
No! We enjoy spending time with PFLAG members and chapter leaders too much to replace in-person learning with webinars, and can’t wait to be together in person again. But PFLAG National webinars offer chapter leaders and members immediate additional learning opportunities to build their skills and grow their chapters. In-person learning opportunities including state, regional, and national conferences will resume as soon as it is safe to do so.
Will this webinar be just like my chapter’s virtual support group meeting?
No. PFLAG Academy Online is set up more like a traditional webinar to ensure that all participants have the best learning experience. Those who join will not be able to turn on their webcam or microphone to ensure that everyone can hear content clearly. Meanwhile, presenters will use online engagement tools including chat, polls, raise hand, and Q&A to interact throughout the session with participants.
Is there any cost to participate?
No. PFLAG Academy Online is a special free benefit to PFLAG members. If you are not a PFLAG member, visit this page to get started.
How do I register for a PFLAG Academy Online session?
All PFLAG members receive a monthly invitation for PFLAG Academy Online sessions. The link to register is also included in our monthly newsletter, The PFLAG Voice, and our bi-weekly newsletter for chapter leaders, Leadership Matters.
- When you have received the meeting invitation email, click the orange REGISTER NOW button.
- Enter the information requested and select REGISTER. Click the box to confirm you are not a robot and select REGISTER again to complete your registration.
- You will automatically receive an email confirming your registration. Save this email as it has details on how to join and where to direct any questions.
- Add details about this session to your Google, Outlook, or Yahoo calendar using the links provided on the registration confirmation page or your confirmation email.
How do I log-in to a PFLAG Academy Online Session?
Be sure to save your webinar confirmation email and/or add the webinar to your Google, Outlook, or Yahoo calendar as it will allow you to join the meeting.
- Select “Click Here to Join” in the confirmation email or the URL included in the event on your calendar at the scheduled date and time.
- When prompted, select “Open Zoom Meetings”.
How will I get notes and materials from the session?
Take notes during the session, but know that when the webinar ends, you’ll be provided with a special web address so that you can download resources mentioned in the learning session. We do not distribute PowerPoint slides.
What about recordings? Can I access those?
PFLAG members that register for PFLAG Academy Online sessions will receive a link to view recorded sessions on-demand. If you are a PFLAG member you can also access recordings of past sessions on-demand at pflag.org/onlineacademy.
How can I make sure that my computer or device will be able to handle the webinar system?
We strongly suggest that you test your device before your first webinar to make sure you’re ready to go. It’s easy – just go to zoom.us/test to join a test meeting.
If you are unable to join the meeting, visit Zoom Support Center for useful information.
You should also make sure you have the latest version of your preferred web browser. Updates should happen automatically but you can double-check by accessing these links:
- Microsoft Edge: microsoftedgetips.microsoft.com/en-us/
- Google Chrome: support.google.com/chrome/answer/95414?hl=en
- Internet Explorer: windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/install-ie#ie=ie-11
- Safari: apple.com/softwareupdate/
I don’t have access to a computer – can I still join in?
If you don’t have access to a computer or the internet at home, you can dial-in to participate in PFLAG Academy Online. However, please note that the way to get the most out of a webinar is to participate in the web portion and it will not be as effective a learning tool. And remember, all PFLAG Academy Online sessions are available on-demand for playback at any time.
I still have some questions. Who can help me?
If you have questions please contact Jamie Henkel at [email protected] or (202) 467-8180 ext. 210.