Leading with Love: Celebrating and Affirming LGBTQ+ Young People Recording and Training Toolkit
- The following tips can be used on all social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest and more.
- Start posts directed toward your elected official with “as your constituent…” to give your message more weight.
- Use photos to grab the attention of those scrolling through their feeds.
- Share information about issues and add your own PFLAG spin.
- Create an Event on your Facebook page and invite people to join you and invite their own like-minded friends and colleagues.
- Share photos and videos of your efforts.
- Give visibility to your coalition partners by sharing their posts.
- Be mindful and polite when posting and refrain from using offensive and derogatory language.
- A hashtag is a word or phrase preceded by the symbol # that is used primarily in social media to identify a keyword or topic of interest and make it searchable. A trending hashtag is a hashtag that surges suddenly in popularity, and that can be used to get free exposure so that they show up when people look up the hashtag.
- Use trending hashtags when posting on social media to guarantee that your post will be searchable under the hashtag, allowing a large number of people to see your message. You can also use advocacy-focused hashtags like #LGBTQ, #Pride, or a legislative number (i.e. #HB2) or state abbreviation so that other interested individuals see your message when they search for the topic.