LGBTQ Data Inclusion Act
The LGBTQ Data Inclusion Act will require federal agencies that use surveys to collect voluntary, self-disclosed information to include sexual orientation and gender identity. It will also require agencies to review existing data collection tools that capture demographic information to add sexual orientation and gender identity, and to evaluate assessment tools and processes for demographic surveys.
ACTION REQUEST | Ask your Member of Congress and Senators:
- Support the LGBTQ Data Inclusion Act
- Cosponsor this bill if they have not yet done so, especially if they serve on the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs or the House Committee on Oversight and Reform.
- Thank them if they have already done so.
- When our communities lack data about LGBTQ+ people, it becomes more difficult to document which resources or programs should be created and which circumstances need to be addressed. We need federal agencies to collect information about sexual orientation and gender identity along with other demographics to better address the issues faced by LGBTQ+ people. We need numbers to back up the issues that affect LGBTQ+ individuals every day.
- The LGBTQ Essential Data Act does not require anyone to disclose information about their sexual orientation or gender identity if they don’t want to. Answering these questions is completely voluntary. Additionally, the information is stripped of identifying markers, ensuring that survey participants are protected from retaliation, including from fines or penalties for refusing to respond.