Lobbying By Phone
Plan to have a call that is fewer than 30 seconds but prepare for one that might be longer.
- Identify yourself as a constituent, at the start of the call, providing your zip code.
- State why you are calling and your position on the issue.
- Refrain from using talking points or personal stories, unless the person who answers continues to engage you on the call.
- Discuss a live issue such as an upcoming vote or time-sensitive opportunity.
- Ask that your elected official support or oppose the legislation you have discussed.
- Commit to following up if necessary.
Take detailed notes during your call.
- Be polite to the person who answers the phone. Insults and mockery don’t persuade.
- Keep it brief if you have to leave a voicemail. Call back when you can.
- Participate in coordinated calling efforts when possible, but remember that your individual call counts!