At PFLAG, we celebrate our trans and nonbinary loved ones every day of the year, including during special awareness moments, like Transgender Awareness Week. This is an annual observance from Nov. 12-19 that encourages learning with an open heart about transgender people and trans identities, and the issues the community faces. It is followed by Transgender Day of Remembrance (TDOR), a solemn day of mourning as we remember the transgender people who were murdered in the past year simply because they are transgender. TDOR takes place annually on Nov. 20th. Visit Trans Remembrance, a project by our friends at the National Center for Transgender Equality, to learn more.
New to the conversation? Here are some trans resources to get you started!
PFLAG Online Academy On Demand
- Supporting Trans & Nonbinary Loved Ones: What Would You Do?
- Straight For Equality: Becoming a Trans Ally
PFLAG National Publications
Something to Talk About Live
- Trans and Nonbinary Inclusion in Gaming
- What Does it Mean to be a Transgender Role Model?
- It’s Transgender Awareness Week
- This Transgender Day of Visibility Let’s Seek Out Joy
- Transgender Reading List for Adults
- Transgender Reading List for Young Adults
- Transgender Reading List for Children
- “How Do I Use Your Pronouns Correctly?” from MyPronouns.org
- “Understanding the Transgender Community” produced by the HRC Campaign
- “Supporting the Transgender People in your Life: a Guide to Being a Good Ally” from the National Center for Transgender Equality
- “Unapologetically Myself: Get To Know- and Hear- Lucas Segal’s Story” by Jose Soto from the HRC Campaign
- “The Power, Beauty, and Nuance of Being Transgender and Visible” by Kelle Terrell from Lambda Legal