Taking the Long Road Home
“Is there room in the Black Church for LGBTQ+ people of faith?”
First-time filmmaker Qiydaar Foster (he/him) explores this question in the latest short film from PFLAG National: Taking the Long Road Home.
Taking the Long Road Home is an official selection of Cinema Diverse: The Palm Springs LGBTQ Film Festival, Out on Film: Atlanta’s LGBTQ Film Festival, Reel Affirmations 2022: Washington, DC’s LGBTQ+ Film Festival, and the 6th LA Black Film Festival. You can catch its next screening at the 6th LA Black Film Festival May 11-14, 2023. In the meantime, click through to watch the film trailer, view the supplemental Discussion Guide, learn about the filmmakers, and more.
Told through the lens of first-time filmmaker Qiydaar Foster’s own faith journey as an Afro-Latino queer person, Taking the Long Road Home reaches viewers where they are, and provides an entry point for exploring deep questions of faith for LGBTQ+ people and their families. Together with Foster, the audience meets six Black ordained ministers who identify as LGBTQ+ or as allies, and who guide him along the long road home in faith. The film includes interviews with Rev. Michael J. Crumpler, Rev. Debra J. Hopkins, Rev. Mykal Shannon, Rev. Naomi Washington-Leapheart, Rev. Dr. Christine Y. Wiley and Rev. Dr. Dennis Wiley. Taking the Long Road Home is produced by Nick Oceano and Niketta Scott, directed by Qiydaar Foster and edited by Jake Korupp.
Additional Films by PFLAG
- Las Familias de PFLAG en Español (2019): written, directed, and produced by Nick Oceano
- PFLAG Votes (2020): a short series to help get out the vote, written, directed, and produced by Nick Oceano
- You Are My Pride (2020), a film produced in partnership with Wear Your Voice
- A Place to Call Home (2021) Directed by Stephanie Tran, written and produced by Nick Oceano
- What Makes Pride (2021), a five-part series created in partnership with Melissa Harris-Perry and Wear Your Voice, discussing issues of importance to BIPOC communities and centering and fundraising for small hyperlocal organizations doing that work
- Taking the Long Road Home (2022) Directed by Qiydaar Foster, written and produced by Nick Oceano and Niketta Scott