Coming Out Later in Life
Here are our quick tips to be a good ally to someone when they come out to you — at any age!
- Your initial response can have a profound and lasting effect on someone; think before you speak.
- Say thank you. What just happened was big, and acknowledging that reaffirms that your loved one chose the right person to tell.
- Watch your body language; it can say as much as your words do. Be an active and engaged listener.
- Ask appropriate questions, such as “Is there any way I can support you?”
- Respect their wishes. This isn’t time for you to suggest their next steps.
Here are some resources to keep your learning going!
- Find a local chapter at pflag.org/find
- Find a PFLAG Connects online meeting at pflag.org/connect
- Watch this PFLAG Academy Online session, on demand, When Someone Comes Out: A PFLAG Guide to Demonstrating Support and Acceptance