Across the country, hundreds of anti-trans bills are in process in state legislatures. “Sports bans” criminalize schools and programs that allow trans and nonbinary students (kindergarten through college) to participate in sports in alignment with their gender identity. All kids, inclusive of trans kids, deserve the same chance to be part of a team, learn from one another, and respect the game. Banning kids from playing sports is mean-spirited and against what sports participation is about.
You can view Equality Federation’s up-to-the-minute tracking of legislation affecting LGBTQ+ people.
- Discuss the issues using the talking points below
- Build a Coalition
- Learn how to share your story and even submit testimony
- Reach out to Media Relations Manager Laura McGinnis for Support in Discussing With The Press
- Post on social media
- Send emails and tweets to lawmakers
- All kids, inclusive of trans kids, deserve the same chance to be part of a team, learn from one another, and respect the game.
- Raising alarms about unfair advantages or locker room antics are all about fear mongering and have nothing to do with kids. Let them play.
- Like any other athlete taking prescription medication, a transgender athlete is under the care of a doctor. Lawmakers need to leave the private health care decisions to families and their physicians.